What to Bring on your Group Trip
Essentials (for non-Calgary Board of Education groups)
- 1 soft style duffle bag (bring only what you can stow on your own bunk)
- 1 sleeping bag (pillow optional)
- Toiletry items: towel, bio-degradable soap, toothbrush, sunscreen etc.
- Rain gear (pants and jacket)
- 1 old pair runners (or deck shoes)
- 1 pair rubber boots (or deck boots)
- 1 pair waterproof sandals (optional)
- 1 warm jacket
- 1 swim suit (late spring or early fall only)
- 1 toque, hat or cap
- 1 pair gloves (for cool nights and/or hauling lines)
- Sufficient quantities for the length of your trip: jeans or pants, sweaters, shirts
- 1 change of socks and underwear for each day at sea
- Flashlight or Head lamp (and spare batteries)
- 1 pen, 1 pencil and eraser
- Duo-tang binder with a copy of the Sailor's Handbook plus loose-leaf paper for note taking
- Money to buy some cool SALTS Gear
- Water bottle for shore excursions
- Log Book if returning from last year
- Camera (optional)
- It is usually cooler on the water than you think! Bring plenty of warm clothes.
- Everyone on board stands watch, even at night, so be prepared to help in all aspects of shipboard life from steering the ship to doing the dishes!
- All your gear has to be stowed on your bunk so keep it to a minimum: duffle bags or soft luggage only.
- You're welcome to bring a small musical instrument if you have one (if you would like to bring a larger instrument - i.e. a guitar - please contact the SALTS office to confirm whether or not there is suitable storage space on your trip)
What not to bring – IMPORTANT NOTICENO MP3 players, iPods, hand-held video games, chewing gum, junk food, alcohol or illegal drugs permitted on board. If permitted by your school or group leader, cell phones and smart phones may be used onboard as cameras only. A NO SMOKING policy will be in effect both on the ship and during shoreside activities. Please be aware that smoking will NOT be permitted from the time you board until the time you disembark at the end of the trip. Infractions of this policy will lead to your disembarking immediately. Thank you for your cooperation.
If you leave something behindAny unclaimed or unmarked “Lost and Found” items will be held at the SALTS office until the end of the season (approximately September 30) and will then be donated to a worthy cause. Please label clothing and footwear.
Calgary Board of Education Schools - click here for your Packing List (PDF).