| Summer 2017 Trip Dates and Routes
Summer 2017 Registration
Please read this page before you register.
Trips are open to young people ages 13 - 25
and registrations must be submitted online.
Trips often fill up very quickly and once full,
a waiting list is taken.
To complete the online form be prepared to provide:
- Applicant's contact information including a primary email address for important trip information
- Trip choices in order of preference - up to 10 (all trips). Make sure you are aware of the boarding and disembarking locations (FROM & TO) and dates of each trip!
- A credit card for payment of the registration fee, is required in order to process the trip request.
Cost and BursariesAll summer trips are 10 days and include meals, sail training materials park fees and taxes. Trip fees do not include travel to or from the boarding or disembarking location and trainees must make their own travel arrangements.
Through the generosity of our donors, SALTS is able to offer bursaries to those who wouldn't otherwise be able to sail. Bursary funds are awarded to applicants who demonstrate financial need and/or circumstances which put the trip fee beyond their family's reach. At SALTS we understand that even middle income families are stretched when it comes to providing worthwhile opportunities for their kids and "financial need" may apply to those who wouldn't otherwise ask for help.
TOTAL FEES without bursary
Registration Fee (all registrations)
|$150||Non-refundable once a trip has been offered.|
|Balance of trip fee
without a bursary
| First payment of $605 due within 10 days of trip offer.
Second payment of $605 due February 1, 2017
Final payment of $605 due May 1, 2017
|Balance of trip fee
with a bursary
$150 - $1500
| Bursary award notifications will include a schedule for
three equal payments of any remaining trip fees after
the award has been applied. The first payment will be
due within 10 days of the bursary award notice.
Bursary applications can be requested during the online registration process and submitted once a trip offer is received. Awards will be allocated and recipients will be notified each month until the funds are exhausted, so be sure to register and apply early!
SALTS wishes to thank the Dennis and Phyllis Washington Foundation for their generous support of our bursary program through a grant of $100,000 per year for five years!
Trip fees paid prior to April 1, 2017 are refundable when cancellation is received in writing.
The registration fee is refundable in the following circumstances:
- We are not able to offer a trip for any of the applicant's trip choices for the summer 2017 season.
- The applicant withdraws their trip request or removes their name from our waitlist (in writing) before we have sent a trip offer. Trip choices must be kept up to date in order to avoid being offered a trip that is no longer suitable.
Children’s Fitness Tax Credit
For Canadians under age 16 at the beginning of the year of their summer voyage, twenty percent of the cost of summer trips is tax deductible through the Children’s Fitness Tax Credit. Provided the federal tax legislation remains the same, tax receipts will be mailed by SALTS to the families of eligible trainees prior to the end of February following the voyage. Details are available at www.cra-arc.gc.ca/fitness/.